Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Birthday Blog for My Mother


For most people, September 15 is just another day like all the rest of the 364 days that fly by each year. In my family, it's a special day, and the only one like it. September 15th is my mom's birthday.

My mom is a pretty much a professional when it comes to throwing parties, so over the years we have had some pretty awesome celebrations for her birthdays. However, over the past few years, I haven't really been around on her birthday since I've been living in Texas and she's in Arizona. And the worst part is, I only seem to be getting farther and farther away. Sadly, some of the most interaction I've had with my own mom on her birthday recently was a few years ago when I ended up in the hospital with a kidney stone on her birthday. Probably not the most exciting birthday celebration for a mother to hear about her daughter having to go to the hospital!

So since I can't be with my mom on her birthday, I can't exactly throw her a party or bake a cake, and I can't even very easily send a present or a card, I decided to write a blog dedicated to her.

Someone at G42 asked me today if I was close with my mom. I told her the truth: we do fight a lot, but I tell her everything and she's very involved in my life. My friend's response was, "That's a really special relationship to have with your mom and to be able to be that close." I agree. Although we are typical mother and daughter sometimes, I honestly don't know what I would do without my mom. She is there for me all the time, from the super serious stuff in life to the ridiculously dumb things. She listens to me, she tells me good advice, she lets me complain to her, she helps me when I don't know how to do something right, she is generous to me, she loves me and supports me, and she puts me in line when I am being stupid. I may not be in the same state or country as her very many days out of the year, but I know that she is just a phone call away, and I can call her anytime to talk about any random thing that's on my mind (which I frequently do, sometimes several times a day... thank goodness for Skype!!).

But Mom, I want you to know that I don't take any of it for granted. The fact that I can call you ten times in an hour and ask you how to cook lasagna or talk to you for an hour about my life drama or rely on you to run errands at home for me shows me that I have a wonderful mother who truly cares for me. I know it's not easy that I am so far away from home, but you have let me go and have supported me in what I am doing, and I want to thank you for encouraging me to pursue my dreams, even if it's not particularly preferable for you. And thank you for all the advice and wisdom that you share with me. I know that I can trust the things that you say and I appreciate that you help me get things into perspective a lot of the time.

Pretty much, I've got a great Mom! Thank you for loving me the way you do and for always being willing to sacrifice for me and make sure that I have the kind of care and nurture that a child should have. I have often not given you the credit you've deserved in the past, but I want to now, in a place where everyone can see what a wonderful mother you are and how much you have done for your children.

I'm sorry I can't be there today to take you to lunch or buy you a lemon meringue pie from Marie Callendar's, but I'm trusting that you will throw an awesome party with your friends to celebrate and do something fun. I wish I could be there for it, but since I'm not, I hope you know how much I really love and appreciate you.

Thank you for giving your life the way you have, and for just being my mom, and being a good one. I love you, Mom.

Happy Birthday!


P.S. I don't have a clue how old you are turning this year!!

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful gift......to have a mom like this and a daughter to write about it...priceless. Love the P.S. too hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was touching. You are right, your mom is a great listener, generous and throws great parties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tribute to your Mom.

    ReplyDelete