Wednesday, January 04, 2012

A Dream Fulfilled


 Some of the most defining and memorable moments in life happen in the most random and unexpected places. For me this was in Panera Bread a few years back. It was a sunny spring Sunday afternoon, and I had set up encampment at a corner table to eat a delicious lunch and spend a few hours studying. As I sat going over notes from class and listening to 311's Amber on repeat, a boisterous and lively group of about ten or twelve people walked in. They all seemed a few years older than me, in their twenties and thirties, and I watched them closely as they pulled some tables together next to me and gathered around to enjoy their Sunday afternoon meal.

I don't know what it was about this group that stood out so much to me. In fact, I still can't really pinpoint exactly what it was that enthralled me so much, but I must admit, I was captivated.
Just some pictures of our group at the beginning of Graduation night
They were nicely dressed, and I could have guessed that they had just come from church. Not only that, but they all seemed to be attractive and well-kept people. But I don't think it was their clothes or looks that intrigued me. I couldn't help but watch out of the corner of my eye and notice how lively this bunch was. The calm and peacefulness that had permeated the restaurant earlier in the morning while I sat in my lonely little corner was now invaded by joyful eruptions of laughter and an excitement and enthusiasm that victoriously dominated the atmosphere.

The Amber song I was listening to seemed to be the perfect score to accompany the scene that was set before me: good friends, enjoying a meal together, enjoying each others' company, laughing,
celebrating and cherishing life.
Playing a game at the dinner table. Guess who won that one! ;-)
My words lack in describing what I saw. But maybe it's not my words, maybe it was just as simple as that - a group of great friends that lived life together and ate together. What I can't explain though is how it affected me so much. For years, I have remembered this brief experience. I have pondered it, dreamt about it, and continually find it being brought back up in my mind at the most unexpected moments. Why such an impacting moment from such a simple encounter? I think something in my heart deeply yearned for what I witnessed that day. Somewhere deep inside me, I knew that this was what life was all about; it's what life was meant for, and everything in me wanted nothing more than to experience the vibrancy and abundance of having a thrilling loving, and exciting community to be a part of one day, just like the one that crossed my path.

I can say with incredible awe and amazement that that dream was finally fulfilled for me recently. And was it ever so unexpected!
All the G42 interns from October-December 2011
The past few weeks have been a whirlwind. We had our last week of classes, winding down our lessons and summing up all that we have learned. Many of us scheduled one on one dates to spend time together as our departures neared, on top of planning several group hang outs just for fun. We cleaned, packed, moved out, and all the while prepared for our graduation on Thursday afternoon. It's not a formal ceremony or anything, but simply a chance to get dressed up and celebrate together the change that had happened in each of our lives since we’ve been at G42 and to send off the graduates into the exciting future they have ahead of them. For my graduation I was fortunate enough to be able to have my dad and sister come visit Spain for a few days and participate in my community at G42 during our last week, as well as attend our graduation dinner.

We began the celebrations at Andrew's house for drinks and appetizers. As the sun was setting off the coast of the azul Mediterranean, we snapped some photos of everyone all dolled up in their shnazzy outfits and then relocated inside where it was warm and toasty. People grouped up and began their conversations. I walked around on my own for a bit, capturing some precious moments through my camera lens and feeling revitalized and joyful at the sight of so many of my good friends together, alongside my family, enjoying a beautiful Christmassy night.


December 2011 G42 Graduates!
After everyone was sufficiently full from the appetizers and snacks, we set out for the restaurant where we had a delicious three course dinner awaiting us. Upon walking into the restaurant, I encountered a large square table, beautifully set up for all 20-something of us. It was ironically reminiscent of the romantic Italian dinner table set up in Castagnola, Italy where I celebrated Christmas and several other holidays last year. We took our seats at the table, and the feast began.


Throughout the dinner, we talked, joked, told stories, and played games. We even had a surprise visit from Santa Claus himself, who looked strangely like one of our teachers at G42... ;-)

After the main course, we began the handing out of our "diplomas" and the delivery of the graduates' speeches, basically just sharing our heart about what we've experienced and learned in G42 and what we are now walking away with. I am not usually one to be shaky or apprehensive speaking in front of groups, but it took me a few minutes of nervously fumbling through words before I finally settled in the flow of what I was trying to communicate. I think that's what happens when you have something of great value (and great emotion) to share with people you greatly love and respect.

The atmosphere was glamorous and joyful, and filled with a peace that flowed freely between these wonderful people sitting around me.  As my eyes panned around the square table, my heart was warmed at the bright smiling faces of my laughing friends - faces wet with hot sticky tears of overwhelming laughter and sentiments for the special moments we were sharing from our hearts. In a moment, my heart was suddenly aware, and the revelation snuck up on me before I was even prepared to bear it.

This was it. This was the scene I had been dreaming about and hoping for for years... the same magical scene I had seen in those lively people in Panera that Sunday afternoon four years ago – A table of good friends, dressed to their finest and looking sharp as ever, laughing, eating, reminiscing, sharing their hearts,
 Living.

Another simple moment. A special occasion, to be sure, but nothing extraordinary besides a group of loving and joyful friends.

And yet my heart found fulfillment in that moment like it never has before.



 

To be sure, that night will long be a night that I cherish close to my heart for many years to come. One can never forget the feeling of a dream fulfilled.

3 comments:

  1. Great stuff Sarah and so well put.

    Glad to experience it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog, you're such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete