Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Irresistable Magic



The first time I went to Rome I fell in love. Italy was a dream. Before I had even left the U.S., my mind was filled with romantic ideas of the quaint streets, corner cafes, and scrumptious cuisine that Italy is so renowned for. When I finally arrived, what I encountered was even better than any of the enchantment that I could have imagined. Immediately I was hooked. 



From that trip, I knew I was in love with Italy, and my desire to return and spend a generous amount of time in the beautiful country only grew stronger with time. Eventually I made my way back to work as an au pair for a family in a little town called Foligno in the green rolling hill country of Umbria. Enjoying my days in the quiet ambiance of an authentic Italian town, I only ventured into the city out of necessity for practicalities that I couldn't otherwise find in Foligno. There, my opinion of Rome shifted. 

Instead of seeing the beautiful, romantic city that I had experienced once before, I instead found myself in a loud, chaotic mess... horns honking, people shouting, cars zooming past, tourists running people over, street vendors bombarding everyone in sight... and I was overwhelmed. Somehow, the city had lost its charm, and I longer felt the romantic pull that had once so powerfully drawn me in. Returning back to the quiet and calm streets of Foligno was always a breath of fresh air, and I could never wait to return home after visiting Rome and escape from the buzz of the city.


After what felt like too many visits to the busy and bustling ancient city, I alternated my weekend plans and began traveling to a different type of city: the cultural Renaissance hub, Florence. While still a popular tourist destination and bustling with people, Florence proved itself to be a much more tranquil city, and its small size was much less daunting. Its beauty overtook me, and once again the magic that I had once discovered in Rome began to resurface. This time, however, I found myself falling in love with the peaceful and serene Tuscan city.

That was all it took for me to leave my life in the U.S. behind and end up back in the city that had lured me in. But this story isn't about that city. It's about the first one. The one that I can't seem to make up my mind about. The more-than-2000-year-old-city that many find to be one of the best and most beautiful cities in the world. The city that defines Italy. The city that the world dreams about. 


Rome.

Magical. Chaotic. Romantic. Disorganized. Enchanting. Inefficient. 


Maybe it's mystifying fusion of these incongruous characteristics blended into a mellifluous harmony of beauty and charm that produces the magic and magnetism of the world's beloved ancient city. 

Whatever it may be, once you hear the tune of this harmony played sweetly in your ear, you will never forget it and will likely search for it again for the rest of your days. 


Rome.

Ancient walls. Street musicians. Pasta to die for. Hidden piazzas. Artisan markets. Shopper's heaven. Buzzing motorinos. Religion. Statues. Paintings. Fountains. Gardens. Wine.

Hate it. Love it. But you will never forget it. And you will never again find anything like it. 

There's an old tradition that says if you toss a coin backwards into the Trevi Fountain, it will ensure a trip back to Rome someday. 


Everyone I know who has ever thrown a coin in... sure enough... they've been back.

Maybe it's the coin.

Maybe it's coincidence. 

Or maybe it's the irresistible magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment